If we came to your house and you asked us to take off our shoes, we'd do it and wouldn't ask "why?" Hey, those are your rules. Here are some of ours.
- No TALKING ON cell phones in our shop. Seriously, you'll be asked to take your call outside if you're on the phone. We can't hear our top 10 grunge hits of 1991 over you yapping into your phone. (bad cell phone etiquette) Many people are really bent out of shape because of this policy and light us up on social media. Use your smartphone to look items up all you like, as a matter of fact, WE ENCOURAGE THIS!!! It is the talking on phones that we ask you not to do. Chill out!
- Side deals are bad Karma (and will get you kicked out, like forever). So a guy brings something you really want into the shop. You follow him to the consignment desk. We tell him we'll sell it for $150, get him $100 and you say, "I'll give you $110 right now for that" What happens next?
- You are asked/told to leave, don't bother coming back. Seriously. Don't come back.
- If guy says "OK" then guy is asked/told to leave, his account is closed and told not to return, ever.
- Negotiating. You wanna buy that pack on the wall and offer us $25 less than the price on the ticket. We're not Crazy Charlie's Used Cars here. We have a contract with someone to sell it for that price. Wanna place a bid, go to eBay. Wanna take that sweet deal home right now? We'll be happy to ring you up. Shoot, we'll even help adjust the straps on that pack for you if we're not swamped with other customers.
- Consigning with us is optional. Nobody is dragging your stuff out of the closet and forcing you to sell it through us (unless it's your wife or husband telling you that you never use that sleeping bag and you need the cash). We have a very good track record of selling gear, but if our terms are not agreeable to you, you do not have to sell through us.
- Selling stolen stuff will get you pinched. All of our bikes' serial numbers are run through the Police Department. Bringing stolen stuff to us will not only get you caught, but it's gonna be a big strike against your Karma Account.
- We do accept beer as a tip. See our approved list of beers at the front desk.
- Would you go to a garage sale and ask the guy, "How does this vacuum cleaner compare to xyz vacuum cleaner?" Probably not. Even though we're pretty damn smart when it comes to gear, we may not know the exact item you are comparing something to. Most of the time, we'll guide you and answer as many questions as we can. If we're swamped or you're a d-bag, you are on your own.
- No you cannot use the tools in our shop. Would you ask your auto mechanic if you could use the lift to change your own tire?
- Returns. We don't take returns.
- We accept consignments up to 1 hour before we close.
- We reserve the right to make up more policies at any moment of the day. Those policies may or may not make it to our website, but they're still in effect. Hey, if you ran the place, wouldn't you want the same freedom?
In the end, be cool, somewhat informed and patient and your BSR experience will be very rewarding.