BSR prides itself on offering the highest quality gear at the best prices. Our staff is filled with outdoor enthusiasts and specialists who's experience guide the consignment process. Combining over 22 years selling gear in Boulder with industry expertise, we strive to price your gear relative to what the market will bear. We want you to get the most for your new and used gear, and balance that with what the customer will pay.
On average, a BSR consigner will net ~65% of the total sale. We have a sliding scale of consignment percentages based on the sale price. Why do we not post this? Thieves, that's why. Our pricing model and contract have been stolen by copycats in the past. We're proud to say we're still here (and thriving) while they have either broadened their offerings into team sports or gone out of business.
Please note, BSR accepts consignments up to 1 hour before we close.
Why are we the premier OUTDOOR GEAR consignment shop in Boulder (and maybe the entire country)?
- Very knowledgeable staff of enthusiasts
- Over 18,000 consigners (that's bigger than some of the towns around Boulder)
- We don't take junk. High quality name brands only
- Thousands of gear hounds come through our doors each week looking for what's new
What is the consignment process?
- Bring in (or ship us) your gear
- One of our staff will explain the contract to you and ask you to fill it out
- We'll review your items right then, telling you if we'll take it and how much we'll sell it for
- You'll be given a receipt with your items, the $ you'll receive when sold, and YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER
- Your account number is the ONLY way to access your account info. Do NOT lose it. Seriously.
- Items must stay for 30 days
- Items get automatically marked down after 60 days
- You can call or stop in to check your account
- Something sold? We'll cut you a check or you can use as store credit to purchase gear YOU want
- Once you have established an account, you simply bring season appropriate gear in up to 1 hour before we close, give account # and review account.
Tips to selling you gear with us.
- Cleanliness = Sale-ability. Washing a Fleece jacket or sleeping bag before consigning will not only make your item more appealing, but it'll keep our shop smelling fresh as a daisy. (Follow washing instructions on the little tag somewhere inside your item.) Wiping the mud from the frame of your bicycle will help you too. As nice as Armor All makes your bike tires look, it also makes for a slick braking surface, so we recommend skipping that level of detailed cleaning.
- Flexibility. If you are thinking you can get close to retail for your item, remember, friends don't let friends pay retail. You may think your item is the most unique, greatest thing on the planet, but chances are, we've sold 3 just like it in the past. We want you to get the most for your gear and will price accordingly. In General, our pricing is loosely based on wholesale pricing, while considering original value, current condition and natural technological advances in currently available gear.
- Patience. You brought your gear to us on Wednesday at 2pm. Calling us noon on Thursday to see if it has sold will make us grumpy.
- Seasonality. Selling your full suspension bike in the middle of January may not get you the best deal or move it quickly. Bring in items that are season appropriate.
- Trust. Some level of trust in our expertise will make this a smoother, creamier experience for all concerned. We know you loved your gear when you were using it and might have been gouged at the retail shop you originally bought it, but believe us when we say it'll sell for "x" price.
We love what we do. We want people to enjoy the outdoors and hope we can put the right gear into their hands to do so. If your stuff works for them, we'll recommend it.* We try to price things appropriately first, then sell to the appropriate person. Sounds simple right? It isn't rocket science, but it is close.
*A Note on negotiating. We don't. Someone wants to offer $200 less for your Road bike? We simply tell them No. Sounds harsh? Too bad. We strive to get a fair price for you the consigner and them, the buyer right from the start.